Matt's Mind

Friday, May 06, 2005

Spotlight ... not?

OK, I got all excited about Spotlight when I upgraded to Mac OS X 10.4 recently. I've been doing some research into making DVD's from recorded TV and keeping the results (links, text snippts, etc) in a folder. But this folder has gotten very full, so I assumed a better way to find stuff now is to use Spotlight to search for topics of interest, rather than page through it all.

So, I'm looking to see if I've saved any info on a tool called "replex". I go Ctrl+Option+Space "replex" ... nada. Which is odd because I know I saved an email recently (as a text file) on that subject. So I manually find the email. And here's a screenshot of the text file with "replex" in it with Spotlight failing to, er, spotlight it.

I also discovered, while trying to post the screenshot via FTP, that Mac OS X will happily mount an FTP volume (with username + password) but won't write to it. WTF?

Much as I love my Mac, things aren't perfect in Mac land right now.

Update: further investigation showed that Spotlight was only working for files that aren't in my home directory. I'm using FileVault, and I suspect this is related. After logging out and then logging in again, Spotlight is working fully. Let's hope that's fixed in 10.4.1. I'd report this as a bug, but after spending a lot of time trying to find out where to report a previous bug in iCal and then getting zero feedback, I'm not too excited about the prospect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home